The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
Holly Hedges was one of the earliest homes built in the developing City of Natchez, circa 1796, when John Scott, a carpenter at the Spanish fort, was granted the property with the stipulation that he allow no bull fighting in the side yard. It is not clear that the house which stands upon the lot today was built by Scott in 1796 or in 1818 by Edward Turner when he acquired the property. An 1835 landscape painting of the area illustrates the house as it looks today, after its enlargement by a rear addition with two distinctive gable roofs. The house is not open for tour year round but can be viewed on a walking, driving or carriage tour from the street. It will, on occasion, be open for tour during Spring or Fall Pilgrimage.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI