The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
The original portion of this house was built as a stagecoach stop in the early 1840s. In 1847, the property was acquired by J. Z. George, who added the Greek Revival elements. J. Z. George served as a United States Senator from Mississippi and was instrumental in establishing the United States Department of Agriculture. His statue stands in Statuary Hall of the United States Capitol. The grounds contain a free-standing hexagonal library which was built in 1887.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI