The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
The White Rose Cafe was started in 1947 by siblings Fred Carter, Irene Carter Magruder, and Courtney Carter Magruder. The cafe served African-Americans in the community and outlying rural areas. In the early 1960s, it was sold to George and Estella Reed and became a safe place where both white and African-American Civil Rights workers could dine, making it a publicly integrated business in the 1960s.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI