The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
Evers was the first field secretary for the NAACP in Jackson at the time of his death, June 12, 1963. The small house and site of his assassination, and the neighborhood of similar houses that surround it, make palpable the very simple longings for freedom and opportunity that drove the Civil Rights Movement. As a museum and house in a historic district, the renovated structure informs those who visit of the many sacrifices that took place in Jackson and in Mississippi, and presents a modern link in the succession of Mississippi landmarks that communicate the history of the state.
This city library is located in the former neighborhood of Medgar Evers, first field secretary for the NAACP, on the street renamed in his honor. View his life-sized bronze statue. Evers was the first field secretary for the NAACP in Jackson, at the time of his death, June 12, 1963.
On June 21, 1964, three voting rights activists, who had come to investigate the burning of Mt. Zion Church, were murdered. Their deaths provoked national outrage and led to the first successful federal prosecution of a civil rights case in Mississippi.
A permanent exhibit of photographs, text and material objects of the Civil Rights Movement.
The Rising Star Lodge was the site of meetings to plan pickets, boycotts, and marches. It became the rallying point for activities in the latter stages of the Civil Rights era.
Papers, awards, memorabilia, civil rights material and other items belonging to the former executive secretary of the NAACP who was born in Marshall County.
It was here on August 28, 1955, that Emmett Till is believed to have been murdered.
Prior to integration of the local public schools, black and white students met here every Sunday in the summer of 1970 to become acquainted with each other and help ensure a smooth integration process. Starkville schools integrated with little tension.
Wesley's first building was given to the slaves of the white Methodist congregation in 1858. The present building was constructed c. 1950 and was the home of Vicksburg's first civil rights organization.
The White Rose Cafe was started in 1947 by siblings Fred Carter, Irene Carter Magruder, and Courtney Carter Magruder. The cafe served African-Americans in the community and outlying rural areas. In the early 1960s, it was sold to George and Estella Reed and became a safe place where both white and African-American Civil Rights workers could dine, making it a publicly integrated business in the 1960s.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI