The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
From primitive camping to full-service RV accommodations to cozy cabins, Mississippi's State Parks are fantastic places to stay. For complete information, click here.
Adjacent to the Vicksburg National Military Park, the cemetery dates back to 1864. A lunette fortification was built on the property by the Confederacy.
In early March, 1864, Union forces defended Yazoo City against a Confederate force led by Gens. Ross and Richardson with their Texas Brigades. The Third U. S. Colored Calvary helped defeat the Confederate forces.
This historic road, sunken from traffic since the 1820s, was widely used during the Civil War. Today it resembles the old sunken Natchez Trace.
Situated on a bluff overlooking the impressive Mississippi river sits Bowie's Tavern flourishing in the original c. 1840 Natchez Cotton Warehouse used in the glory days of the old south when cotton made fortunes. This building is the only surviving pre-Civil War cotton warehouse in Natchez.
Bowie’s Tavern, originally a cotton warehouse, is home to a unique, beautiful mahogany bar (1880) that was once referred to as “the largest bar West of the Mississippi” and was signed by Kit Carson. Our tavern has the largest selection of domestic and imported beers in our region and offers live music on weekends.
Bowies offers three guest rooms, and the Barrel Room is perfect for rehearsal dinners and private parties.
History buffs will enjoy two battlefield trails, five markers, two cemeteries, a visitors center, permanent and temporary flag exhibits, bookstore gallery, video, Civil War art/prints and auto tour of this historical battlefield.
On April 22, 1864, Col. John Griffith of the 11th and 17th Consolidated Arkansas infantry led a Confederate cavalry and artillery detachment to attack the Union tincad Petrel.
The importance of this battle to the outcome of the Civil War was overshadowed only by the fall of Vicksburg.
c. 1839. One of the first buildings built for public assembly in Vicksburg, the cornerstone was laid by Bishop Leonidas Polk who later served as a Lt. General in the Confederate Army. In spite of the shelling during the siege, the Rev. W. W. Lord conducted daily services. Many original furnishings are still in use in the weekly worship services. Features two Tiffany stained-glass windows.
Burial site of Confederate soldiers who died as a result of the Battle of Shiloh.
140 graves of soldiers, mostly from Tennessee and Texas, mortally wounded during Battle of Raymond, May 12, 1863.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI