The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
From primitive camping to full-service RV accommodations to cozy cabins, Mississippi's State Parks are fantastic places to stay. For complete information, click here.
c. 1847. Built by Maj. Thomas Blewett, this home was the former residence of Confederate Gen. Stephen D. Lee. It is now a museum exhibiting Civil War collections and artifacts.
The present Marion County Courthouse was constructed in 1905 and is in the center of Columbia. Masons of St. Alban's Lodge laid the cornerstones of the Courthouse and of the first brick Columbia High School on the same day in 1905. Previous to 1905, the original wood frame courthouse, dating back to territorial days when Columbia was known as "Lott's Bluff," stood on roughly the same spot. It was this courthouse that was the scene of such notorious events as the Will Purvis hanging, and was also plundered by the Union Army during the winter of 1864.
The Marion County - City of Columbia Museum and Archives is located across from City Hall, on the west end of 2nd Street, in the circa 1907 Gulf & Ship Island passenger depot. The museum currently holds a large collection of Native American artifacts, a Civil War room, as well as displays of early Columbia and local military history.
Mount Holly was built in 1856 and was once owned by the family of noted Civil War historian Shelby Foote. A fine example of Italianate architecture, its two-foot thick walls are constructed entirely of slave-made bricks. The house is a drive-by only site and is not open for tours.
Approximately 3,000 Union soldiers and famous citizens of historic Natchez are buried here, among impressive monuments and poignant headstones.
Burial site of Confederate Brig. Gen. William Feimster Tucker.
Soldiers who died in Civil War Battles of Okolona, Baldwyn, Corinth and Shiloh were laid to rest here.
Resting place for many pioneers & Civil War veterans, including Jeffery Forrest, brother of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest. Beautiful monuments. Brochure guide available at the Aberdeen Visitors Bureau.
A National Historic Landmark and one of America's finest examples of Greek Revival public architecture, the Old Capitol building served as state capitol from 1839 to 1903, housing such notable events as the passage of the Ordinance of Secession.
Confederate Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton occupied building during the siege of Vicksburg, led by Union Major General Ulysses S. Grant, from May 23, to July 4, 1863. It was the building that Pemberton held council of his chief officers on July 3, 1863, to discuss plans for surrender of the city, which occurred the following day.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI